The Gender Justice in Disaster: Inspiring Action conference will bring a gender lens to critical issues of contemporary emergency.
It will inspire action at the intersect of gender and sustainable Aboriginal land management, climate change activism, discrimination against LGBTIQA+ people, the representation of women in leadership, violence against women, and more.
This international conference is located in Australia, a country known as the climate change canary. Building on the successful National Conference ‘Diversity in Disaster’ held in Melbourne in April 2018, this conference presents international experts and promises unique insights from gender and emergency management in Australia that are applicable to emergency management in other countries. This virtual event offers registration to delegates from across the globe.
- Asks contemporary and compelling questions of decision-makers and people affected by emergencies
- Places gender justice at the centre of emergency management’s response to the most pressing current and emerging environmental and social challenges
- Provokes, challenge and stimulate individuals, communities, and organisations to change and incorporate gender justice in their emergency planning and response
- Gives voice to the lived experience of disasters
- Connects with others’ work in both gender and disaster/emergency management, in Australia and overseas
- Promotes the GAD Pod’s resources as tools to progress gender justice in emergency and disaster management
- Delivers legacy documents as a valuable resource for future actions.